Roof Bedding and Pointing Services in Perth
Bedding and pointing, bedding is applied first, it is a bed of concrete for the ridge caps. Additionally Roof Pointing is the final flexible cement that binds the ridge capping to the roof tiles.
On a standard Perth house, Roof Tiles mechanically are fixed into place. They do not require any adhesives or sealants except for special applications and certain pitches. The Ridge Capping is sealed around the edges and held in place by mortar. (The mortar is cement and sand). Flexible pointing compound that holds them firmly into place and ensures that its waterproof to avoid leaks.
The roof ridge tiles or capping are made from the same material as the concrete roof tiles, terracotta roof tiles or also slate roof tiles to name a few.
The bedding mortar mixed with coloured oxide was commonly used many years ago, but as Roofing technology has improved, and new products have been developed. There are now flexible Pointing compounds available that are not only stronger than mortar but also more flexible and longer-lasting. So now the tiles are laid on a bed of cement and sealed with the flexible Pointing solution.
Does my roof require re-bedding or repointing?
Over time ridge capping can become brittle due to the accumulation of dust and weathering over time, this can dislodge the capping from its fixed position. The mortar loosens its grip over time and tends to crack, so does the pointing.
This is quite normal in an older roof and cannot be prevented, on occasion the cracks can be sealed but if the mortar mix and movement has caused the initial cracks it will likely continue.
If you are wondering about the necessity of a Roof Re-bedding and Roof Repointing, you should look carefully at the existing condition of your roof and see if the following applies to you:
- Does your Ridge Capping mortar have cracks?
- Are there any broken ridge caps?
- Is the ridge capping in a straight line or has it shifted?
- Are there any missing roof ridge tiles?
- Is water leaking inside your home from the ridge capping?
These are all symptoms that roof repointing is required.
Ridge capping is an important part of your roof. If a roof ridge tile becomes loose you could have water leaking in your home. With the crazy weather and strong wind that experience in Perth from time to time a tile could even be blown of the roof damaging a neighbouring home, breaking a window, damaging a car or even worse personal injury.
Depending on the rest of the condition of the roof such as the tiles, you may either need to do a partial or complete roof restoration. A complete Roof Restoration will involve renewing the entire roof and replacing all the chipped and broken tiles, fascias, gutters, and downpipes, in other words, a roof replacement
Cracked ridge capping bedding and pointing mortar is a sure sign that repointing is required.
What are roof repointing and re-bedding?
Removing the ridge capping and old cement, cleaning the roof, laying a new bed of cement for the ridge capping to bed down on and positioning the capping in place and finally applying the flexible pointing solution.
Roof tilers will use tools like steel brushes together with slate/hook hammers and rippers to break off the old mortar, trowels for smooth application of the new mortar and flexible pointing. To keep the mortar and capping aligned straight guides are used. (bedding frames).
The Powerdrive Roofing Re-bedding & Repointing Repair Process
The Re-bedding and Roof Repair process involves the following steps-
- Preparing the scaffolding or roof safe as required, or harnesses in accordance with work safe regulations.
- Detecting the damaged areas of the ridge capping.
- Roof cleaning to rid the roof of the existing moss/lichen, dirt, and condensed concrete dust.
- Removing the damaged ridge capping by gently breaking the existing old mortar with a hammer etc.
- Laying a new concrete bed of mortar made of cement and sand.
- Installing the ridge tiles on the newly applied mortar.
- Applying flexible pointing cement after the mortar solidifies. Repointing your roof is a good way to ensure added longevity to the ridge capping.
- If required priming and Painting the ridge capping or entire roof.
With years of experience, Powerdrive Roofing’s specialists can provide all the best industry knowledge and advice for your roof repointing, Roof Repairs, and restoration. We provide Repointing and Re-bedding Roof Restoration services to all of the Perth metropolitan area and surrounding suburbs.